You may receive error code 800F0922 when trying to update Windows Server 2012 or Server 2012 R2 when you are trying to install Security Update KB2920189.
This error is caused by a conflict with Secure Boot. To make the update work you need to disable secure boot.
- Reboot the machine into the BIOS, (usually by pressing F2 or DEL repeatedly as the server starts)
- Once you are in BIOS, locate boot options and select DISABLE SECURE BOOT.
- Save and exit the configuration changes and boot into the OS normally.
- Run the update. It should be successful.
- Reboot the system back into the BIOS screen.
- In the BOOT options, re-enable SECURE BOOT, save configurations changes and restart machine booting into the OS as normal
This can also happen in Hyper-V VMs. To disable Secure Boot in Hyper-V go into the VM settings, click the firmware setting and untick”Enable Secure Boot”.